31 March 2009

QotD for 31 Mar., 2009

On the brouhaha by some authors and publishers over copyright & ebooks in general, and Amazon's Kindle specifically:
Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong, but the important thing is, we don't need new theories about copyright law to test the proposition. The existing, totally non-controversial aspect of copyright law that says, "Amazon can't publish and sell my book without my permission" covers the territory nicely. ---Cory Doctorow


Simple, huh ? Now, if Kindle books:

  • Didn't have odious and burdensome DRM attached (so I could make decent backups),
  • Didn't cost so bloomin' much (make 'em the price of a paperback minus a buck or so to make up for the lack of printing costs), and
  • Were compatible with other ebook readers & software

then you'd really have something... But as it is ? Meh.

[via boing boing]

No comments: