26 December 2007

QotD for 26 Dec., 2007

(from a lengthy essay on Anglican polity at The Daily Episcopalian)

...the alternative to the rule of law on this side of the kingdom of heaven is not grace, but the rule of men (and I use the gender-exclusive term quite intentionally), men who equate their prejudices with God’s word, their ambitions with God’s will, and their agendas with the tradition of God’s Church. Polity and canon law are the security of God’s people against the wrongful exercise of power. --- the Rt. Rev. Stacy Sauls, Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Lexington


[thanks to DC at The Questioning Christian]

4 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

My view entirely. Mind you, I say that not knowing whose side this man is on, but there you go!

David said...

Oh Bp. Sauls is an Episcopal Church loyalist. The arch-conservatives have dismissed him as a "liberal," but the man is a bog standard Episcopalian as far as I can tell.

He is also a lawyer, a doctoral student in canon law, and a member of the national church's Standing Commission on the Constitution and Canons.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

God bless +Sauls!

Go visit my blog, my armadillo friend---I have blessed you.

pj said...

Oh dear randy Armadillo, it is many days later and completely off-topic, but have a very Happy Armadillo New Year! Mwah.